In 1967, nine men formed the North Crosslake Volunteer Fire Department. These nine charter members built the first Crosslake fire hall. The 2-stall block building housed a 1953 tanker and a new 1967 pumper. The original fire hall was located in the building that is now called the Old Fire Hall. Over the years, North Crosslake and Crosslake became one city. The Department was then renamed the Crosslake Fire Department.
Today the fire hall is located in the Crosslake Emergency Services Center. City Hall offices, the North Ambulance station, the Police Department and the Fire Department all share the facility.
The all-volunteer Fire Department has evolved significantly since those early days. There are currently 26 active members. Twenty of those members are medically trained as First Responders or as EMTs. In 2011 the department responded to a total of 243 calls.