For more than 60 years, our organization has been guided by a mission to provide the best medical care for community residents and visitors. Aitkin Community Hospital, incorporated in 1948, was promoted by a dedicated group of local citizens as an investment—not only in better health but to help the community grow and prosper. To move ahead with the construction of a hospital the community needed to raise several thousand dollars. A grassroots fundraising campaign urging every Aitkin County household to make a donation produced an amazing response in a few short years. In 1953 the hospital cornerstone was laid and construction was completed by the end of 1954. In January 1955, the community celebrated with a grand opening. Over the years, the hospital has grown into an integrated health system—a 25-bed hospital and three primary care clinics in Aitkin, Garrison and McGregor. Building a reputation as a trusted leader, Riverwood has become known for its genuine caring and high quality services.